Pistons GT Tournament Run Ends in Quarterfinals
July 20, 2021
by Aaron Fox
Pistons GT saw their tournament run end with back-to-back losses at the hands of reigning champions Wizards District Gaming. After knocking off Warriors Gaming Squad in the first round, Detroit added to their season’s earnings, but fell short of advancing any further.
A slow start on both ends of the court ultimately cost Pistons GT game one. WDG left the first quarter with a 20-5 advantage, opening the contest on a 9-0 run. From there, Pistons GT settled down and made their runs, but the first quarter struggles came back to bite in the end.
Opposing center Dayfri flirted with a triple-double, posting 9 points, 9 assists, and 13 rebounds to open the series. All 5 Washington starters recorded 9+ points, and 4-out-of-5 posted double-digit scoring. Radiant (28pts-4asts) and Cooks (13pts-3stls) led the way in scoring for Detroit. The loss set up a win-or-go-home game two for Ramo and company.
We saw a better start from Pistons GT in the second contest, but the team was still facing a deficit headed into halftime. Every time it seemed like Detroit could potentially threaten their lead, WDG had an answer.
Cooks (19pts-1stl-1blk), Radiant (16pts-8asts-1stl), and Ramo (14pts-9rebs-5asts) combined to score all but 12 Pistons GT points, but their efforts ultimately fell short. JBM finished with series-highs of 31 points and 12 assists, including 7 makes from beyond the arc, leading the way for WDG.
After eliminating Pistons GT, Wizards District Gaming squared off with Blazer5 Gaming in the semifinals to determine who would move on to face Hornets Venom GT in the finals. Surprisingly, Washington was swept, ending their tournament run in the final four. Hornets Venom GT would go on to win THE TURN’s championship led by tourney MVP Rigby.
Although Detroit saw an early exit in THE TURN, the team looks forward to finishing the second half of their regular season strongly. Pistons GT will be back in action after a week seven bye on July 28th versus Jazz Gaming (7-7) and July 29th versus Heat Check Gaming (8-8). Follow @PistonsGT on Twitter for more updates.
- Game 1: Wizards District Gaming def. Pistons GT, 66-56
- Game 2: Wizards District Gaming def. Pistons GT, 70-61
- PG Radiant (22ppg-6apg-1spg-2.5topg-50%-44%)
- SG Cooks (16ppg-1.5apg-2spg-1.5topg-48%-39%)
- SF Pexile (5.5ppg-0.5rpg-0.5apg-50%-43%)
- PF Milo (5ppg-4.5rpg-50%-40%)
- C Ramo (10ppg-11rpg-3.5apg-0.5spg-0.5bpg-77%)
Wizards District Gaming
- PG JBM (25.5ppg-10.5apg-1.5spg-1topg-49%-52%)
- SG BRich (10ppg-1apg-0.5spg-0.5topg-67%-50%)
- SF Awkward (10ppg-0.5bpg-0.5rpg-80%-75%)
- PF Newdini (11.5ppg-5.5rpg-1.5apg-1spg-0.5bpg-75%-83%)
- C Dayfri (11ppg-12.5rpg-6apg-1spg-1bpg-56%)